GOOD KNOWLEDGE OF ENGLISH IS THE FIRST STEP TO YOUR SUCCESS IN AUSTRALIA
Many of the international students coming to Australia start with an English course to improve their skills and become fluent in the language. After the English course, it is easy to transfer to a university or to one of the preparation courses for professional language exams, such as IELTS, PTE, TOEFL or Cambridge.
The fees for the language courses can vary greatly depending on the school and its English level as well as on the type of English course (e.g. General English or Exam Preparation Course). Prices range from $180 to $420 per week. If you want to study English full time in Australia, you have to apply for an ELICOS (English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students) Student Visa (subclass 500).
Why do I need to learn English in Australia? General English studies can help to improve:
- Reading, writing and listening skills
- Speaking and fluency skills
- Structure, grammar, vocabulary and idioms
- Communication and conversation strategies
Before starting the English course, international students will do an English placement test and be assigned to a class level ranging from Beginner to Upper-Intermediate. The duration of the English course is from 1 to 50 weeks but the length of your studies is up to you. Classes are held 4 – 5 days a week, 20 – 25 hours. Most English schools offer morning, afternoon and evening classes to choose from.
Are you wondering what your current level of English is? Test your English level for free with us. We will send you your results within 72 hours.
General EnglishLearn more
Exam PreparationLearn more
Academic EnglishLearn more
English for professionalsLearn more
GENERAL ENGLISH COURSES
GENERAL ENGLISH COURSES are conducted on several levels. To raise a qualification level by 1, you need to study approximately 12 weeks of that course.
Beginners & Elementary ( A1 & A2 )
People on these levels of English are using a foreign language on a basic level. They can communicate in everyday life using colloquial phrases and basic vocabulary. What linguistic competences distinguish people using English at A1 and A2 levels?
Understands and very often uses basic phrases as well as basic expressions related to everyday life
Can communicate in a simple way in everyday situations, requiring only direct exchange of views on familiar topics
Can introduce himself and others and can formulate questions relating to private life and about the place of residence, possessions and other people
Can conduct a simple conversation, provided that the other person speaks slowly, clearly and is willing to cooperate
Pre-intermediate & Intermediate ( B1 & B2 )
People on the Pre-intermediate & Intermediate ( B1 & B2 ) levels of English are using a foreign language at an intermediate level. They can easily communicate with native speakers of a given foreign language. What linguistic competences are distinguished by people using English at B1 and B2 levels?
- Understands the main message of simple texts on familiar topics, including work, education or leisure
- Understands the importance of the main threads contained in complex statements on specific and abstract topics, including substantive discussions in the field of her specialisation
- Can cope in most situations arising when traveling to places where English is spoken
- Can create simple and coherent texts on topics known or falling within their own area of interest
- Is able to communicate fluently and spontaneously to conduct a conversation with a native speaker of a given language, without any special effort of either party
- Is able to formulate clear, detailed statements while explaining his point of view on a given topic and considering the advantages and disadvantages of different options.
Upper-Intermediate & Advanced ( C1 & C2 )
People on the Upper-Intermediate & Advanced ( C1 & C2 ) levels of English are fluent in a foreign language. They are capable of performing complex work and study tasks. What language competencies are distinguished by people using English at C1 and C2 levels?
- Understands a wide range of more demanding, longer statements and sees their hidden meaning
- Expresses himself fluently and spontaneously, easily finding the right vocabulary
- Freely uses a foreign language among friends, during studies or at work. Can formulate clear, well-structured and detailed statements on complex topics, while correctly using the patterns of the organisation of statements, hyphens and conjunctions.
- Can summarise information and arguments from various written and oral sources, consistently and logically conveying their content.
IELTS -International English Language Testing System
The exams preparatory courses are comprehensive to help prepare you to achieve the highest possible score on the official IELTS test. It is recognised by over 9,000 organisations worldwide as a measure of English language proficiency. It opens the door to education at universities in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Great Britain and many universities in the USA. It is also the main test for Australia’s migration program.
There are two different IELTS tests; Acadmic and General. Academic is for students who are completing the test to be accepted into an education provider, while General is for visa pruposes. The test assesses the four skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing. You get scored separetely on each band but also the overall score as shown below. The good thing is that you cannot fail IELTS! You might not get the score you want, but you will always get some sort of a score without failing.
The duration of the course is from 1 to 50 weeks but the length of your studies is up to you. To raise a qualification level by 1, you need to study approximately 12 weeks of that course.
PTE -Pearson Testing English
The preparatory courses are comprehensive to help prepare you to achieve the highest possible score on the official PTE test. PTE is trusted by universities, colleges and governments around the world. It is the most unbiased proof of a candidate’s English skills.
PTE is a computer-based English language test for international study and immigration puerposes that is accepted across the world. The test assesses the four skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing. It lasts approximately 3 hours and provides a score based on the GSE (Global Scale of English). PTE Academic scores are accepted by thousands of institutions and approved for all UK, Australian and New Zealand visa and immigration categories. And the good thing is that you cannot fail PTE! You might not get the score you want, but you will always get some sort of a score without failing.
The Cambridge Certificate in English
The Cambridge Certificate in English course is recognised all over the world and is ideal if you are speaking English and want to develop deeper general skills. A Cambridge course is a more intensive alternative to General English. It will enable you to have complex conversations in English and succeed in daily life in an English-speaking country. Best of all, a Cambridge certification is valid for life and is recognised around the world by over 20,000 businesses, universities and Government departments.
In order to be admitted to one of the Cambridge Certificate courses you need to pass an appropriate exam at a school of your choice. Be aware that due to exam dates scheduled by University of Cambridge ESOL Examination, courses start 4 times a year, in some schools 3 times only. Average course duration is 10-12 weeks.
Cambridge Key English Test (KET)
is an entry-level Cambridge English program. It is designed to improve the ability to communicate in English – in simple, everyday situations. It covers the core English skills of listening, reading, writing and speaking.
Cambridge Preliminary English Test (PET)
is an intermediate level exam which recognises your ability to cope with everyday written and spoken communication.
Cambridge First Certificate in English (FCE)
is an academic test, very popular in South America and Europe. It is a good course for those interested in developing their conversational skills at a more advanced level (more advanced than in General English) and in understanding the language at a higher level as well. It focuses on all the four necessary skills: speaking, reading, writing, and listening.
Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)
is an advanced exam which recognises students’ ability to communicate with confidence in English. It is now widely accepted by the Australian Government for Migration purposes as well as Australian universities.
EAP (English for Academic Purpose)
The EAP (English for Academic Purpose) is an academic course aimed at students who wish to develop their English language skills and intend to pursue a bachelor’s, master’s or other university or college course in Australia or another English-speaking country.
The main task of EAP is to prepare students to study in English. The courses include:
- Listening and taking notes
- Expanding university vocabulary
- Learn to read quickly and spell correctly
- Learn new research techniques
- Use library and internet resources appropriately
- Seminar presentations and discussion skills
- Exam preparation for a proficiency level.
In some cases, some universities or colleges in Australia may accept this as equivalent to an IELTS score. The course usually lasts from 10 to 12 weeks.
EVS (English for Vocational Studies)
The EVS (English for Vocational Studies) is an intensive course preparing for future professional studies for intermediate level students. The EVS course aims to improve your critical thinking skills and develop control over the English language so that you can communicate efficiently in a vocational education environment.
Completing this course enables you to apply for graduate programs at some of Australia’s top universities.
ENGLISH FOR PROFESSIONALS
English for Business
The English for Business course gives students the opportunity to learn the English skills that they will need to conduct business in a global environment. The course is designed for people with at least intermediate English. Courses are usually divided into modules covering various fields such as administration, customer service, sales, marketing as well as management and human resources. You can choose a specific module or complete a full course covering all business areas. The course usually lasts from 4-week modules to 12 weeks.
English for Teachers
English for Teachers is a course for people who want to teach English, but their first language is not English. To become a teacher, it is necessary to obtain the appropriate professional qualification as a teacher. This course opens the doors to every country in the world because you don’t necessarily need to speak the native language to become a teacher in another country.
- TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) is famous mostly in Australia and Asia.
- CELTA ( Certificate in English Language Teaching Adults ) is a qualification certified by the University of Cambridge. This is the most widely recognised English language teaching qualification worldwide, and the industry benchmark for teaching English in Australia or overseas. It is a highly practical course that focuses on communicative teaching theories and includes teaching practicum in real classrooms.
- DELTA (Diploma in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) is a qualification certified by the University of Cambridge as one of the best-known and most popular advanced TEFL/TESOL qualifications in the world. It is a flexible way for experienced English language teachers to progress further in their careers. Delta can be taken at any stage in a teacher’s career and is ideal for those wanting to update their teaching knowledge and improve their practice.
English for Healthcare and Nursing
English for Healthcare and Nursing is a course designed to provide students with the language skills to work in health care [JK1] facilities, preparing them for the professional language needs of the industry. Students in this course will focus on nursing topics and professional communication skills relevant to their career path. The course aims at medical terminology and workplace communication skills such as patient admission or explaining handovers. The average course is 15 weeks, 4 days a week.
English for IT
English for IT course is dedicated to students who need to communicate in the field of technology for study or work. During the course, you will develop technical skills in English for a career related to IT and Technology. After the course, you will definitely gain confidence in speaking and writing.
The course is intended for people with intermediate to upper intermediate [K2] level of English knowledge. The duration of the course is 12 weeks divided into 3-4-week modules.
Pronunciation for Professionals
The advanced English pronunciation course will give you the confidence and ability to communicate clearly in the workplace and everyday life. Sometimes you may struggle to get your message across due to your accent and the inherent difficulties of English pronunciation. This course aims to help you to communicate effectively by minimising obstacles which may sometimes arise not only from the way you speak but also from how others perceive the way you speak.
What will you learn?
- You will improve your fluency and pronunciation
- You will develop your conversational skills
- You will learn about stress, rhythm and intonation
- You will expand your vocabulary
- You will learn everyday Australian language and idioms